Saturday, March 10, 2007

POSITIVELY NEGATIVE

Have you met people who when trying to say something nice, unknowingly pepper something negative, that makes you just want to say "er ok, bye!" But they actually don't mean any harm?....you know what I'm saying?

There is this valet uncle from a hotel who had always been super friendly. At that time i didn't own a driving license and relied heavily on dad to fetch me around for gigs. While waiting for my dad to head back and collect me after a gig, this valet uncle will engage me in some trivia discussions but somehow he will utter some unnecessaries that make me hope dad would return sooner. To make it worse, he would speak to me in mix of English and Hokkien. HOKKIEN? How come (scratch my head!?!?) There were quite many incidents which i couldn't remember except for this one. He said something like i should be making a lot of money zipping around for events. Out of modesty I said I didn't make that much. Stupid answer, as that prompted him to ask how much I was paid per gig? He asked "got few thousand dollars or not". I said "no lah, where got so much?" His reply "No meh? Why so little? How come not like Liang Zhi Chiang (Jack Neo) they all like that? They pay very high you know?

Today, as i pulled up at another hotel front, I realised valet uncle has jumped shipped to this hotel. I could tell he was really happy to see me and greeted me heartedly with "jin gu bo kua tiok li" (literally translated as long time no see). You can also tell he was really happy to see me drive myself instead of being chauferred by dad. He repeatedly uttered "Wah, very good hor, now you drive yourself, got own car".............and then he had to add.............."but this car now very cheap hor....hor.....hor". Win already!

NEED ADVICE-WOMEN'S MOST FEARED COMMENT
Ok ok, since I'm at this topic, can anyone tell me what would you do when someone uninvitedly comments that you have (urgh, don't ladies hate this most) PUT ON WEIGHT?

On one tired night after performing several sets I just wanted to chill out on my own at Actors, (still) my favourite joint, this guy (S) sat next to me and this how the conversation goes:

S : looks like you "fa fu" already (gone prosperous, i.e. grown fatter)
Me : (tired, not interested in this type of conversation, looked at him) Is it? (looked away)
S : er......I hope you don't get offended leh, I just thought I tell you the truth.
Me : Huh? Ok! (looked away)
S : But really lor, I hope you don't get offended, I just telling the truth. You look like you are offended.
Me : Oh ok, I am offended (staring straight)
S : Don't like that leh, don't get offended
Me : Ok, I am not offended
----------------silence----------------(for like next hour).

Please, someone tell me how to handle this type of situation
.

2 comments:

sinlady said...

PLENTY your uncle valet types. Irritating but harmless. Your actors uncle type - hmmm - can be rude back to him mah. Tell him he is ugly and tomorrow you can go on diet. But this too cheem for him lah.I would not bother - just give him cold shoulder treatment if I feel offended.

Anonymous said...

plenty of people said i put on weight. (which is true! i'm no longer at a skinny 42kg...)

so i go, "yes yes! i've put on weight! been eating too much good food!" or "more for my man to love", or "i look better in clothes now..."

then see if the person has any answer. usually, this kind of conversation quite dumb. i don't even bother to answer seriously. i just give flippant replies. heh.