Saturday, September 30, 2006

CRINGE!

I told myself i had to blog about this........long one, so read only if you very 'eng'....but quite funny lah!

Last night i was at my favourite jamming joint. Haven't been there for a while due to a hectic Sept. After a hard days work or when i have absolutely nothing to do, i'd love to go there because generally the population there not the young-punks type. The regulars of a certain mature age who generally share the love of music, in particular jamming (play an instrument, sing or bask in the atmosphere) are spotted there week after week.

Previoulsy little "picking up" took place cos people who go there for that reason will leave after a while because simply, it's not for that. Sure I've seen people who frequent there become couples when they happen to meet there often enough, know each other deeper, find they share the same interest..yada..yada...(ahem), but just not the kind of joint known for one-night-stands!

But of late, i realise it has somewhat become half a pick-up joint, of the more mature people. The regulars are still there but there is an influx of tom dick mary jane who behave differently towards the opposite gender. They can hug, kiss anyone who walks in that narrow door.

Me, previously being Queen of Pop at this place have mellowed down tremdously because after so many gigs, don't tell me you still want to further hurt your vocal cords by belting out there. So usually i would just go, 'hello hello' to all my lovely regular friends there and then find my corner seat, sip my cup of hot lemon tea and mind my own business. Occasionally i will get invites to jam but i would just point at my throat apologetically indicating i have a sore throat.

Last night these 2 mature man (1 with greying hair liao) spotted the demure me sitting at a corner and probably decided that they want to chat me up. So they walked right in front, completely blocking my view of the singers and musicians and spoke loudly among themselves from music to golf (even practised their swings in front of me). I pretend to be unperturbed and stretched my neck so far up to look over them (i was sitting on high stool) and continued to watch the jammers play. Ok, they "bo-pian", now walk nearer to me and introduced themselves. I shook hands and continue to bask in the music. They danced in front of me, beckoning me to join and i just politely shook my head. One asked me to sing, again i shook my head pointing to my hot lemon tea and my throat. Ok, one got the hint and left me alone. The greying hair one decided to move to the lady on my right (I think they knew each other) and he stood in front on her sashaying to the rhythm of the music, held her hand and pretending to be serenading to her like as though to make me see he is such a romantic man. I want to cringe, but i hide it by sipping my tea.

If that is not enough to make you wince, he turned to me and asked to borrow my stirrer (that was still left in my cup of hot tea, please, i did take the stirrer out when drinking the tea ok). For what? To stir his whisky on the rocks? I is curious and i had to watch. I took the stirrer out and handed to him. He held it in front of him like a microphone and continued to serenade to my neighbour. My eye balls rolled up! But he won, he got my attention! I quickly snatched my cup of tea to drink so that he wouldn't and couldn't put back the stirrer in my cup. Yucks! Guess what, he really wanted to do that. He apologised emphatically and gesticulated that he wanted to place the stirrer back. I cupped my hand over my tea and said he can keep the stirrer and in fact there are a lot more free ones he could use from the bar counter.

Finally got the hint you think? I was left alone until later, he still came over to apologise about the stirrer....wa-kau!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am too shocked for words!!!!! I think this Ah Pek should be home babysitting his grandchildren.

Suzie Wong said...

So yucks right? VB. Afterthat i went to meet Ms Sin and wildgoose at another place and witnessed more uncles. If only i could upload a hilarious handphone video of another ah pek dancing with his young chick to "highway star" you will really roll on your belly! Hahaha....Ms Sin and WG will remember the STAR JUMP he perfoms each time the band singer sings the part "H-i-g-h-w-a-y S-T-A-R". Ms Sin thinks i'm so dangerous with my handphone....blame it on technology ok!

Anonymous said...

Oh, so sad our favourtie hangout has become a yucks pickup place. Well, was good then the night was saved by moving over to another club.

VB - hey, welcome back. Hope u did loads of shopping in Turkey!
SuzieWong - u so trigger happy with your handphone u are dangerous. Too bad uncle Star will never know how close he came to becoming a superstar. LOL

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha! Very funny... I am imagining the grey-haired uncles to be like my ex-boss, who thinks he's very "yao yeng"! Many moons ago, when I was not yet "aunty/ah sim" type, I had similar experience with 2 middle-aged gyrating koreans in very loud holiday hawaiian shirts with curly hair in a hip HK disco. But now I too unhappening to be in a place to even see things like this happening to others, let alone to me, :D :D :D.
Your unhappening mumsy sis

Anonymous said...

Hey Meow, are u referring to the one we went not very long ago? The one we had to walk from (u know...)the Ang-Moh Zone to the Ah Beng Zone? That one huh?

How come that nite so quiet leh?

Hahaha....imagine you go there in one of your spit-fire outfit n make-up, hordes of these Ah-Peks will come surround you to show-off their 'nam yan choi'....

Yucks!....Kak.....PUuuuueeeeeiii... the tea cup is not the only thing you have to take cover lor....

But thats the most happening thing for the most unhappening person (like me) to see lor....

Must be very funny and interesting....hehehe

Erh.....VB. Even unhappening people like me also know, where got Ah-Pek stay at home babysit grandchildren nowadays. Go take a look at their hotspots.

The regular Cina Lau Beng type will sit around People's Park Complex waiting to get "picked" or go to those Karaoke joints in CCs or RCs to take their pick. The a bit Ang-Moh Pai with some $$$ in his name ones will go 'chionging' in places like Ming's favourite joint lor.

Babysittings are for the Ah-Mahs or the maids. But some of these Ah-Mahs are Chio-Boos themselves. Then these Senior Chio-Boos will maybe meet and get picked up by the Lau Yankees in their friendly neighbourhood KTV lor...

Go out there and look-see look-see lah. There are plenty to see.

Meow...will catch some of these people in action with my N73 and show you some day. HAHAHA....

Anonymous said...

wah --- a cheem pyschological profile of Pick up ah peks, chio boo ah mahs and others. LOL. I hang out at the cc's so better watch out for the line-dancing uncles and aunties hor.

Anonymous said...

Wah!!! Definately very cheem psychological profiling as mentioned by sin_lady. I must hv been away fm Singapore for too long!!! In my time, the pp tend to age gracefully and do age-appropriate stuffs leh!!!! What is this world coming to? When I next visit Singapore, u guys must take me around for a real eye-opener!!!!! I hope I don't see my uncles (with blood relation!) or worse still, my father in the crowd of lau eng kees!!!

Anonymous said...

Wah!!! Definately very cheem psychological profiling as mentioned by sin_lady. I must hv been away fm Singapore for too long!!! In my time, the pp tend to age gracefully and do age-appropriate stuffs leh!!!! What is this world coming to? When I next visit Singapore, u guys must take me around for a real eye-opener!!!!! I hope I don't see my uncles (with blood relation!) or worse still, my father in the crowd of lau eng kees!!!

Anonymous said...

VB : Call me. I take you. I even cha-cha with them if they ask nicely. LOL