Wednesday, July 25, 2007

I HAVE A GIFT

Years ago i used to give an elder person singing lessons, sometimes up to 3 times a week. Then he was already in his 70s, semi-retired, a very successful business man. He mentioned he had wanted to pick up singing during his younger days but was stopped by his uber schedule of building his retail empire.

Don't expect a seventy something year old man to sing well, for he took each session as a means to enjoy his favourite songs, and improve on basics like breathing, intonation, and voice projection.
The lessons gradually reduced to nought when his health suffered. Then recently I received a call from his long-serving secretary to enquire about lessons again. He must be in his 80s now, for i haven't seen him for a while. I had procratisnated due to my busy schedule (and laziness on my part as he usually wants his lessons at 7.30am) but this morning I relented as i could almost hear a plea that he wanted to see me.

When i arrived, I was not surprised he sat on his chair, almost invalid. The domestic helpers needed to force open his eyelids to let him see I was here. I greeted him with a big smile and like clockwork, i put on his familiar songs, karaoke VCDs that were covered in dust. Slowly he started to clap along, softly mumbled along. It was very moving.

When I was leaving, I heard him utter "I'll call you again". Just as I'm typing this, I received a call from the secretary again to say he wants weekly lessons! I have to wake up early once a week! poof, but, I guess I'm willing.

Boy , was that sobering. Now to change the mood a little, let me show you another talent of mine. Recently at an event, after my performance, i was asked back on stage to give an impromptu dance demo so that the best dressed partcipants can emulate.......hahaha totally unrehearsed but see the result.

4 comments:

sinlady said...

Your karma will be good for being so kind to your old client.

The arab was truly inspired LOL

Suzie Wong said...

SL, really? So my COE go up?

Anonymous said...

You are too modest...left out all the details you told me :).
Wah lao...the arabic guy so funny!
Sis

Anonymous said...

i'm sure the old man appreciates you for brightening up this last chapter of his life and filling it up with soft music, and importantly, memories. :)