Tuesday, June 20, 2006

MY BRUSIES AND POLE BURNS ARE PAYING OFF

Seems like my hardwork and efforts are reaping some results.......very very happy.....I think I've gotten another POLE gig early next month (this Friday I'm booked for one)....and this new one is the kind of stuff I had been wanting to do. Will tell ya more when have more details cos......hush......some industrial copiers may be lurking.....

I've requested for a taller pole now that i can climb higher.


And yes, Meow...too bad we couldn't meet last Sat or else you would have witnessed whether i "Gar-liu" or not....hahahaha.


And now for the udpate of a new dance school i visited last weekend. I can only comment on belly dance and pole dance, as i only checked out these 2 items. I som-pa i went with an open mind. Seriously, if they have what i need, i would have signed up, because afterall, i've laid off belly dance for so long, since my teacher relocated to UK. I'm still looking for someone good like her to learn from.


BELLY DANCE

Pardon my ignorance about Middle Eastern outfits, but the instructress did a showcase performance wearing a very simple Baju with hip scarf on the waist (not hips)???? I thot she should pay more attention to the visual appeal since it is afterall, an OPEN HOUSE.

As basic as the outfit was, her choreography was none the more comlex, good enough to wow the the super beginners. Her choreo was repetitive, consisting mainly of (lots of) single beat shoulder shimmies (like 1 tak to 1 side shoulder move, you know what i mean?) and the Eqyptian head going side to side (what's this called?). She also repeated the folk step (as in photo) moving forward to backwards and side to side....so all-in-all it looked like Belly Line dancing! The last part when she eventually did a shimmy (ok) the rest clapped in awe while i clapped in relieve that she actually could do that!

Ms 3A gurl, PLEASE DON'T QUOTE ME in your newsletter, if do, anonymous pls, as I advocate WORLD PEACE (flashing peace sign) hee!

POLE DANCE INTRO WORKSHOP
I paid $5 to attend this workshop. Hard to convince you, but I was very excited, because I have not had a pole class for 3 weeks, remember (teacher also went to uk, how come everybody going uk???). Beautiful instructress with a nice sense of humour. I must admit she made the class seem fun. And 2nd floor studio is pretty with frisky fun colours, and has some 4 to 5 fixed poles on one side and bare studio on the other (weird shape-i'm standing on the poleless side now).
She started off with some aerobics kind of warm up which was fun, but for pole, that will not suffice because you really need to stretch out every inch of muscle. Injury is too easy to sustain with a pole. I tell ya, I have recorded no less than 13 visits to a physio therapist liao.

Anyway, ok to the mild cardio warm up because i then realise the first class was NOT going to be strenuous either. So we went to the side of the studio where the poles are and i realised THE POLES ARE OF THE WRONG SIZE!!!!!There is a standard width to the poles and these are far too skinny.....how to kiap the poles if they so skinny? Straight off i suspect the future classes are not going to have serious stunts.

Instructress immediately went into a choreo which i could see why later. She taught some nice exotic moves like sliding up and down the pole, skills that i seriously needed. Ok, i learnt those in my class too, but i'm really NOT the touch-my-body, cat crawl kind of person. I'm the bring-on-those-pole-stunts kind of gal....yah, yah, i know in pole dancing i still have to dance sexy. A lot of walking round the pole, stroking it.....yah yah, the usual things but good revision for me. Finally 1 pole stunt, which I craved, but already caused quite a commotion amongst the student in class. Instructress demo-ed the pole sit but instead of staying up there, we had to slide down. OK, quite sexy, but the girls were like "oh no, so hard, i can't do it...giggle giggle giggle.

Before we ended the class, instructress tried to entice us to sign up by demonstrating the next pole stunt we will learn in the next class......a pole cat spin (er..one of the easier spin) which it seemed she had a bit of a struggle.

Verdict : So...i do suspect this is actually more an exotic choreography dance combined with the pole.

No malice intended, just an honest observation. If anyone from the school happens to read this, hope you take it constuctively, but looking at the turnout, I'm sure you gonna garner lots of students.

Oh yes, for those who have been popping by here, (leave or no leave comments), thank you, thank you, hugs and kisses. I shall be busy next few days (i just received another singing gig booking for this weekend) so unlikely to have updates til next week. Come back next week and I will tell you all about my one of the jamming session by 3 tops singapore bands of the 70s....and not forgetting an update on my next Motivational POLE SHOW.......Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh darn it - I was so looking forward to finding a bellydance class. Thanks for the report. The search goes on. You jamming with bands of the 70s and I (REALLY from that era) not invited? *pout* I might even have dated some of the band boys when they were hunks*haha*

Anonymous said...

i think you're right. you expert!! many dance schools' pole dancing classes are very basic. like you said- exotic mixed with a little pole. not the super cheem moves like yours!!

Suzie Wong said...

Oh Ms Sin, I'm so sorry, ok, maybe 70s, 80s lah...u can't have dated them because their inclination still subject to suspicion..hahahah..oops better censor this. The next time i go i will call u ok?

And Ms imp, i think i'm one of the cheem-er ones in singapore, but in uk, all these moves achievable after 3 to 4 months! You have some serious pilates contortion yourself too.

3A Gurl said...

thanks for the report. erm...don't have to report you lah cos your link already on mah blog and them girlies can just locate your err...review by clicking the link leh. lucky i no go then on that day. sure another migraine one

Suzie Wong said...

Yah la,3A, you still reeling from the horror of asia goblin belly dance, don't need another headache...hahaha..you need extra strength panadol? heehee

Stephanie said...

I am tempted to try your pole dancing but I am so clumsy it is just asking for trouble! LOL.

Unfortunately about the belly dance demo. Looks like she would have been better off doing a saidi demo maybe? Glad 3A and I both forgot about it. The goblin attacks have began!

Anonymous said...

Re-reading this blog esp the bellydance part. (I know, I so pathetic in my desperation) Belly Line Dancing??? Ouch!...haha

BenTalk (秋風) said...

Fantastic. BTW, where are you performing, singing or pole dancing? May be I will bring all my friends along. OK?