Thursday, March 08, 2007

IT IS AN UNFORGIVING INDUSTRY

Did you read in TNP about some people ploughing half a million dollars in grooming new talents? The weird thing is these people are taking chances on the newbies as singers when they haven't even heard them sing before!

I chanced upon being a gig singer when i was approached by a then Singapore's top MC after I won some singing competitions. If you were from my time, you will know this MC for his puppet act, let's call him "Vincent". That time i was still holding a corporate job (yes in Shenton Way, acting all atas with those power suits, in retrospect i think i was so obiang then), hence the singing assignments were extras.

Vincent had 2 regular gig singers, A and myself. We were both in our 20s but i could see A was a few years younger then me. She was very enthusiastic, unlike me who was the slighly tidak-apa one, who would refuse to take on more roles other than sing, not if i was not paid for the extra tasks. A, on the other hand would willingly double up as cheer-leader, scorer, magic assistant etc, just so that she could be allowed to sing 1 or 2 songs.

After a year, i turned full time and that was the last i heard of Vincent and A.

Of late, i discovered this fanstastic nasi lemak stall that stays open til 4am. Excellent for me, you would find me there after a pole class, after a gig etc. I learnt that the stall is family-owned and run. And this slightly pudgy, auntie-looking lady, obviously a family member of the stall-owner would always chat me up. She is intrigued why sometimes I'm totally plane-jane, sometimes look battered(after pole class) and sometimes i wear full make-up to come and have my late-night dinner. She is always prodding my vocation and i will just brush it like "work office lor, or, dancer lor (when i'm all dolled up).

Today she decided to ask my name. And when i told her, she went...."Orrrrr.....you last time work for Vincent one issit" OMG! How she knows. Then she revealed the next unbelievable thing that she is actually "A"!!!

So we went about what happened to each of us after those years and she told me she only sang briefly after that, doing mostly substituting for live band singers.

Then next thing she told me she would give me her photo and asked me to get her some singing jobs. I politely asked if she still had her minus one music and costumes and she went "music very easy only what, just buy lor" and she pointed in some direction as though there are some VCD shops near by. She added "Costumes can buy from 'This fashion', they have many". Well, ok. Just nice, finish my lemak...yum yum, time for class.

Before i depart, she said "Eh, you know "J"or not, J used to work for Vincent". I said "Ya". He always come and eat and i also gave him his photo, but he never ask me to sing"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wah! She REALLY loves being a performer, poor thing. Er...pudgy, slightly auntie-looking lady...sounds like what I have turned into also :D :D :D
Pudgy sis.

Suzie Wong said...

Sis, she is a few years younger than me, you were still a hot babe at that age....

there's a bit more to the story which i will tell you when i see u

imp said...

i'm so superficial! after reading about her take on music and costumes, the first thought that popped into my mind: "wah...7th month getai get-up and image ah?"

how good is this nasi lemak stall??! located in which area? am interested! love nasi lemak. best if it's the malay nasi lemak rather than the chinese type.

sinlady said...

All the more reason why your staying power is so awesome. Ya, where is this nasi lemak stall?

Suzie Wong said...

Imp : "How good is the nasi lemak stall". I went again tonight.

SL : I shan't be too obvious but is it very near bodytalks
Thanks about the staying power, but with a lot of "help" from you

wildgoose said...

Way to go girl, Suzie Wong.

Can't imagine that she's already like auntie. She would be only a little older than me!

First day at work was ok, if a bit tiring. :)